5 Steps to Start A Journey Group
Starting a Journey Group is easy. Just follow these 5 steps.
Step 1: Select a Common Interest
Be innovative and creative! A common interest can be:
- Sport Events
- Teaching something you’re really good at (cooking, photography, etc)
Step 2: Choose a Location
Find a place for your Journey Group to meet. Options include:
- Your Home
- Library Conference Room
- Recreation Center
- Coffee Shop
Step 3: Schedule Your First Meeting
Now that you know where you’ll be meeting, choose when you’ll be meeting! Here are a few things to remember.
- Groups can meet anytime; morning, noon, or evening.
- Be consistent with times and days.
- Respect attendees time by starting and ending on schedule (1 – 1 1/2 hours is ideal)
- It’s hard to accomadate everyone’s schedule. Choose a time that works for most and stick with it.
Step 4: Invite People
Now that you’ve set up all the logistics of the What, When, and Where… Now it’s time to invite the WHO!
- Start with people who are already in your sphere of influence (co-workers, neighbors, friends)
- Find people around you who are new to the church, new believers, or have shown interest in getting more involved.
- Look for people who you think you can help to draw out their potential.
- Pray for God to send you people who you haven’t already discovered.
- Use the circles of life chart to help you figure out who you can invite to attend your group.
Step 5: Preparing for your Meeting
As you gear up for your meeting, here are a few thing to consider doing that will help to build success in your Journey Group.
- Email, call, or text the day before your meeting as a friendly reminder.
- Create Name tags for those who may not know each other.
- Have food or snacks available where appropriate.
- Make sure the environment is inviting (clean, nice conversation, worship music, warm lighting, pray over the room)
Be sure to check out more of our Journey Group Leadership Training to make sure your Journey Group is a success!